THE ORTHOGRAPHY OF THE COMPOUND NOUNS IN THE MACEDONIAN AND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE (COMPARATIVE INSIGHTS)
The objective of this paper is to compare several orthographic rules of the hyphenated compound nouns in the Macedonian standard language, with the orthography of the hyphenated compound nouns in the English language, which is studied as a foreign language in RM. The rules are compared in order to perceive the possible influence of the English orthography on the Macedonian language in the written practice.
The research has a qualitative paradigm and a descriptive design. The sample consists of several Macedonian orthographic rules of hyphenated compound nouns, which have been excerpted from the Orthography of the Macedonian language, from 2017 as well as the English hyphenated compounds orthography excerpted from several Guide Manuals in English and printed and online dictionaries. The written practice is presented by electronic journalistic texts in Macedonian language.
This research shows that there are many similarities in the orthography of the hyphenated compound nouns in both languages. On the other hand, there are some differences regarding orthography as well, which, among other factors, could be the reason for the differences in orthography of the compound nouns in the Macedonian written practice.
2. BBC News, UK News. (2007). https://bbc.in/2R4aJZX, 7.8.2018.
3. English Style Guide. (2016, 2018). A handbook for authors and translators in the European Commission. European Union. https://bit.ly/2kqSOAW, 25.7.2018
4. Eze, E. D. (2015). A contrastive study of noun formation in English and Igbo languages. https://bit.ly/2OWReBl, 10.9.2018.
5. GPO Style Manual. (2016). An official guide to the form and style of Federal Government publishing (Government Printing Office Style Manual). https://bit.ly/2zCcE13, 25.7.2018.
6. International Trademark Association. A Guide to Proper Trademark Use (2012). https://bit.ly/1frBP1L, 7.8.2018.
7. Jessen, E. (2000). California Style Manual, Fourth edition: San Francisco: ImageInk. https://bit.ly/1sYQJ9Z, 7.8.2018.
8. Kepeski, K. (1980). Gramatika na makedonskiot literaturen jazik za uchilishtata za sredno obrazovanie [Grammar of the Macedonian language for the secondary schools]. Skopje: Prosvetno delo.
9. NARA Style Guide. (2012) (National Archives and Records Administration). https://bit.ly/2yn8E2M, 25.7.2018
10. Plag, I. (2002). Word-Formation in English. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
11. Stefanovski, Lj. (2006) English Lexicology: A course book. Skopje: Univerzitet „Sv. Kiril i Metodij.
12. Sun, Y. (2017). A Comparison of Compounding in Chinese and English. Colorado State University. https://bit.ly/2QesTHc, 30.7.2018.
13. The Economist Style Guide (9th ed.). London: Profile Books. https://bit.ly/1Wl8H2m, 24.7.2018.
14. The English Spelling Society. https://bit.ly/2OQS7el, 25.7.2018.
15. The Free Dictionary by Farlex, (2016), https://bit.ly/2NfDfF6, 28.09.2018.
16. Transparent Language. https://bit.ly/2xVCP0W, 11.08.2018
17. Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia. https://bit.ly/2NNnzho, 7.8.2018.
18. Wroe, Ann, ed. (2015). The Economist Style Guide (11th ed.). London, New York: Profile Books / PublicAffairs. p. 74. Hyphens.
1. Dnevnik, 22 February 1999.https://bit.ly/2NKrgnT, 31.7.2018.
2. Kajgana. https://bit.ly/2DBBx0Z, 31.7.2018.
3. Sè za hrana, 30 January 2018. https://bit.ly/2N6O8c3, 31.7.2018.
4. Sitel TV, 18.5.2018. https://bit.ly/2NPv8UD, 31.7.2018.
5. Sitel TV, 10.2.2016. https://bit.ly/2xZAodQ, 8.9.2018.
6. Sluzhben vesnik na RM, br. 103, 2010 [Official Journal of the Republic of Macedonia].https://bit.ly/2NLQ0fn,
7. Sluzhben vesnik na RM, br. 164, 2011 [Official Journal of the Republic of Macedonia].https://bit.ly/2OU58Ux, 31.7.2018.
8. Spa-centar [Spa center]Radika. https://bit.ly/2OW8Pcu, 31. 7.2018.
9. Ekipa [Team]. 2.7.2018. https://bit.ly/2NOD88w, 8.9.2018.
10. Ekipa [Team]. 5.7.2018. https://bit.ly/2DBekw7, 8.9.2018.
11. Press 24, 30.6.2017. https://bit.ly/2xIgPqL, 8.9.2018.
12. Ubavina i zdravje [Beauty and health]. https://bit.ly/2zB6ka8, 8.9.2018.